The International Trotting Association was founded in 1969 and the first conference took place in Ohio, United States of America.
Organisations from 19 countries together with the European Trotting Union are members of the ITA.
Every second year the members of the International Trotting Association meet at the World Trotting Conference. 2021 the conference was postponed due to Covid.
2023 the conference will take place in Berlin, Germany on August 14 – 18. The venue is the Pullman Berlin Schweizerhof.
The first World Driving Champion was Herve Filion of Canada in 1970. The 2023 Championship is hosted by Belgium, Netherlands and Germany.
The defending champion Rick Ebbinge will meet eleven other drivers from eleven countries.
The Conference with 5 committees
At the World Trotting Conference the five standing committees have their meetings.
Each day of the conference there is also a plenary session where guest speakers have been invited.
At the General Assembly of the final day the recommendations of the committees are presented to the delegates for approval.
- Breeding Committee
- Constitution and Regulation Committee
- Equine Health and Integrity Committee
- Marketing and Business Development
- Racing and Wagering Committee
09:00 – 12:00 Conference room CHUR 1
The Constitution and Regulation Committee has its meeting.
13:30 – 17:30 Conference room DAVOS
The first plenary session will begin with conference opening ceremonies.
- Presentation France
- Our first Guest Speaker is Ilkka Halava, Futurist, Foresight Coach and CEO of Prime Frontier Oy and Future Works Oy. The title of the speech is “Looking to the future“. What do we know about the future and what can we anticipate? What kind of attitudes do people have towards the future, can the future be influenced, how are the trends of the future known, what do people want from the future?
- Attitudes within the industry and the need for change. Second Guest Speaker is Saara Iivari, head of communication and marketing, Suomen Hippos.
09:00 – 14:00
- Harness racing through the lens of science: rein tension, training methods and horse welfare
Speaker: Elke Hartmann, Department of Animal Environment and Health, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences.
- Promotion of the ethical and responsible involvement of horses in sport
Speaker: Jessica Stark, World Horse Welfare’s Director of Communications and Public Affairs/FEI.
- Barefoot racing
Video: Jean-Marie Denoix, Director of Cirale-Normandie.
- Tracebility of horses: digitally integration in databases and apps – a good way to ensure greater compliance
Speaker: IT-Developer/ Health Welfare and Traceability Manager of Harness racing Australia (HRA)
- Situation in North America
Whipping rules in different states / Status HISA ( horse integrity and safety act) / FBI-sentences and their impact on the image on the sports, short-and longterm / Antidoping work, status in USA / Discussion about social licence in USA / problem that young people do not want to be a part of trotting business
Interview with John Campbell / Panel discussion with Joe Feraldo, Jeff Gural, Marjaana Alaviuhkola and Jessica Stark
The Breeding Committee has its first meeting
15:30 – 18:30 Conference room WINTERTHUR
The Marketing and Business Development Committee has its first meeting
15:30 – 18:30 Conference room LAUSANNE
09:00 – 13:00
- Modern breeding methods (ICSI)
- Speaker: Dr. Alexandra Görgens, Clinik for reproductive medicine for horses in Mühlen.
10:10 – 10:40 Coffee Break
- Gene doping – gene therapy: which genetic and cellular practices have no place in horseracing and breeding
- Speaker: Dr. Natascha Hamilton, Chairman of IFHA’s Gene Doping Control Subsommittee.
- Challenges for and advances in medication and doping control of trotting horses
- Speaker: Dr. Mark Machnik, Biochemical Institute University of Cologne.
The Breeding Committee has its second meeting
14:30 – 17:30 DAVOS / WINTERTHUR
The Marketing and Business Development Committee has its second meeting
14:30 – 17:30 LAUSANNE
The Constitution and Regulation Committee has a second meeting
17:00 – 18:00
09:00 – 13:20
- What does the future of horse betting look like in different countries?
- Speaker: Jari Vähänen, Co-Partner and Founder, The Finnish Gambling Consultants.
- New tool for optimisation of games
- Video: Jean Baptiste Vilain, VELTYS Pratice sport
- How can betting technically be optimized?
- Speaker: Aymeric Verlet, Directeur international PMU
- How to be attractive for the next generation
- Speaker: Petter Johansson, ATG
- Panel-discussion Speaker ATG / Speaker PMU
The Equine Health and Integrity Committee has its first meeting
14:30 – 17:30
The Racing and Wagering Committee has its first meeting
14:30 – 17:30
09:00 – 12:00
The Equine Health and Integrity Committee has its second meeting
09:00 – 12:00
The Racing and Wagering Committee has its second meeting
14:00 – 15:30
At the final days General Assembly the recommendations of the committees will be presented to the delegates for approval.
Evening at the races with the final five races of the World Driving Championship.